status of the project

Vincent Torri

Hey,

I would like to know the status of this project. I haven't seen any
message for months on that ML

thank you

Vincent Torri

Re: status of the project

Vincent Richomme
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 08:53:43 +0200 (CEST), Vincent Torri
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I would like to know the status of this project. I haven't seen any
> message for months on that ML
>
> thank you
>
> Vincent Torri

Hello,

you should ask what is the status of Windows Mobile OS and I would answer
that it is currently dying because now Microsoft is moving to a new
OS (the one in Windows Phone) that will only allow managed code
(Silverlight).
I read that they will still support windows mobile for a few years because
they cannot
break compatibility too quickly but to me it means that cegcc is
deprecated.

More information here :

http://www.osnews.com/story/23249/Windows_Phone_7_Based_on_Windows_Embedded_Compact_7
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/could-menlo-signal-a-change-in-microsofts-mobile-strategy/6077
http://www.itwriting.com/blog/2361-no-native-code-on-windows-phone-7-says-microsoft-so-what-about-flash.html

Re: status of the project

Pavel Pavlov

Still, it will be the same arm phone with pe executables. Just like android and iphone, they will eventually have to allow some level of native development (for cpu intensive processing for example), otherwise they will turn from business oriented os to a toy oriented os ;) Anyways, I really would like cegcc changes to make into official gcc so that all the latest changes in gcc (and there are a lot in arm related parts) could be also used by cegcc.

Re: status of the project

Vincent Torri

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010, Vincent Richomme wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 08:53:43 +0200 (CEST), Vincent Torri
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> I would like to know the status of this project. I haven't seen any
>> message for months on that ML
>>
>> thank you
>>
>> Vincent Torri
>>
> Hello,
>
> you should ask what is the status of Windows Mobile OS and I would answer
> that it is currently dying because now Microsoft is moving to a new
> OS (the one in Windows Phone) that will only allow managed code
> (Silverlight).

dying, maybe, but not dead.

> I read that they will still support windows mobile for a few years because
> they cannot
> break compatibility too quickly but to me it means that cegcc is
> deprecated.

I do not agree: it will be deprecated when there is no Windows CE / Pocket
PC devices anymore

> More information here :
>
> http://www.osnews.com/story/23249/Windows_Phone_7_Based_on_Windows_Embedded_Compact_7
> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/could-menlo-signal-a-change-in-microsofts-mobile-strategy/6077
> http://www.itwriting.com/blog/2361-no-native-code-on-windows-phone-7-says-microsoft-so-what-about-flash.html

Thank you for the links :-)

Vincent Torri

Re: status of the project

Vincent Torri

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010, Pavel Pavlov wrote:

> [...]

I 100% agree with you. cegcc must be merged upstream in gcc. Pedro talked
about that some month ago, but no news anymore about the merge.

Vincent Torri