sending and receiving UDP packets

SiliconBear
Dear Experts,

I'm trying to port a simple UDP application, which ran on Linux and Symbian,
to Windows Mobile 6.5. I was going to do a fresh MSVC project, but then ran
into cegcc, and gave it a try. I have to say, cegcc saves me a lot of efforts.
However, I ran into an issue with missing UDP packets, details are given below.

I use arm-ming32ce on Linux, and have revised my code to get it compiled. More
specifically, I commented out a few BSD socket headers, and add the following
includes:
#define __USE_WIN32_SOCKETS
#include<winsock.h>
#include<windows.h>
#include<string.h>
#include<process.h>
#include<stdio.h>

I link the object files using the options:
-static -static-libgcc -lws2

My application uses sendto() and recvfrom() to communicate with multiple UDP
servers over WiFi. And I can see some UDP packets showing up at the server
side using wireshark. However, I have noticed that many packets are not
actually sent even though sendto() returns a nonzero value. Similar thing
happens to recvfrom(): most of the time I receive only one or two incoming UDP
packets.

I wonder whether I made any newbie mistakes? Please advise, and thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Cheng

Re: sending and receiving UDP packets

Pavel Pavlov
> From: SiliconBear [mailto:[hidden email]]
>
> Dear Experts,
>
> I'm trying to port a simple UDP application, which ran on Linux and
> Symbian,
> to Windows Mobile 6.5. I was going to do a fresh MSVC project, but then
> ran
> into cegcc, and gave it a try. I have to say, cegcc saves me a lot of
> efforts.
> However, I ran into an issue with missing UDP packets, details are
> given below.
>
> I use arm-ming32ce on Linux, and have revised my code to get it
> compiled. More
> specifically, I commented out a few BSD socket headers, and add the
> following
> includes:
> #define __USE_WIN32_SOCKETS
> #include<winsock.h>
> #include<windows.h>
> #include<string.h>
> #include<process.h>
> #include<stdio.h>
>
> I link the object files using the options:
> -static -static-libgcc -lws2
>
> My application uses sendto() and recvfrom() to communicate with
> multiple UDP
> servers over WiFi. And I can see some UDP packets showing up at the
> server
> side using wireshark. However, I have noticed that many packets are not
> actually sent even though sendto() returns a nonzero value. Similar
> thing
> happens to recvfrom(): most of the time I receive only one or two
> incoming UDP
> packets.
>
> I wonder whether I made any newbie mistakes? Please advise, and thanks
> in advance.
>
> Best Regards,
> Cheng

That really doesn't have anything to do with cegcc itself, that code you are trying to port most likely needs some porting to make it work on windows (did you forget wsastartup?). In any case, for every socket call check for error returns (or wsagetlasterror) and in case of a error check corresponding error description: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+error+codes or winapi description: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sendto+wince+site%3Amicrosoft.com