gcc seems to be non-functional

Sean Healy
Hello,

I found no way to search the archive to see if someone else has reported
a similar error, so I'm posting it to the list. gcc doesn't seem to be
working. When I run the program, it exits with no error message - no
message of any kind, in fact - but no output file is produced. So I get
no output and no error message.

I've tried it via /mingw32ce/arm-mingw32ce/bin/gcc and via
/mingw32ce/bin/arm-mingw32ce-gcc-4.4.0. I had originally tried it with
-c, so I tried it without. I've tried it with and without -o. I've tried
it with and without -v. I've tried it on several different source files.
I've tried it with no options at all. (I also tried running ld with no
options at all, and got an error message about no such file or directory
- so whatever it is doesn't seem to be affecting everything)

This is the first time I've used CeGCC. I'm using it in Cygwin on a
WinXP machine. I downloaded and extracted
cegcc_mingw32ce_cygwin1.7_r1375.tar.bz2 from the website; I left the
extracted folder in my home directory and am running gcc as
~/mingw32ce/arm-mingw32ce/bin/gcc.

Anyone have any ideas?

Re: [Cegcc-devel] gcc seems to be non-functional

Dave Korn-2
On 23/01/2010 16:08, Sean Healy wrote:

> [ ... ] gcc doesn't seem to be
> working. When I run the program, it exits with no error message - no
> message of any kind, in fact - but no output file is produced. So I get
> no output and no error message. [ ... ]

  On Cygwin, this is a typical symptom of a missing DLL.  There's no error
message, but you will find a non-zero value in the bash error status variable
"$?".  To track it down, run the "cygcheck" utility, passing it the path to
the failing .exe as a command-line argument; it'll tell you what's missing.

    cheers,
      DaveK

Re: [Cegcc-devel] gcc seems to be non-functional

Vincent Richomme
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 17:08:34 +0100, Sean Healy <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I found no way to search the archive to see if someone else has reported

> a similar error, so I'm posting it to the list. gcc doesn't seem to be
> working. When I run the program, it exits with no error message - no
> message of any kind, in fact - but no output file is produced. So I get
> no output and no error message.
>
> I've tried it via /mingw32ce/arm-mingw32ce/bin/gcc and via
> /mingw32ce/bin/arm-mingw32ce-gcc-4.4.0. I had originally tried it with
> -c, so I tried it without. I've tried it with and without -o. I've tried

> it with and without -v. I've tried it on several different source files.

> I've tried it with no options at all. (I also tried running ld with no
> options at all, and got an error message about no such file or directory

> - so whatever it is doesn't seem to be affecting everything)
>
> This is the first time I've used CeGCC. I'm using it in Cygwin on a
> WinXP machine. I downloaded and extracted
> cegcc_mingw32ce_cygwin1.7_r1375.tar.bz2 from the website; I left the
> extracted folder in my home directory and am running gcc as
> ~/mingw32ce/arm-mingw32ce/bin/gcc.

I suppose this is because someone did a release of cegcc when cygwin-1.7
was still unstable
(I knew it was a bad idea ...).
If I were you I would recompile the cegcc toolchain, not very difficult or
you can wait
that somebody(could be me) do it for you.

Re: gcc seems to be non-functional

İsmail "cartman" Dönmez
Administrator
Sean Healy wrote
[...]

ismail
Regards,
İsmail DÖNMEZ

Re: [Cegcc-devel] gcc seems to be non-functional

Vincent Richomme
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 13:23:55 -0800 (PST), İsmail "cartman" Dönmez
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sean Healy wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I found no way to search the archive to see if someone else has
reported
>> a similar error, so I'm posting it to the list. gcc doesn't seem to be
>> working. When I run the program, it exits with no error message - no
>> message of any kind, in fact - but no output file is produced. So I get

>> no output and no error message.
>>
>> I've tried it via /mingw32ce/arm-mingw32ce/bin/gcc and via
>> /mingw32ce/bin/arm-mingw32ce-gcc-4.4.0. I had originally tried it with
>> -c, so I tried it without. I've tried it with and without -o. I've
tried
>> it with and without -v. I've tried it on several different source
files.
>> I've tried it with no options at all. (I also tried running ld with no
>> options at all, and got an error message about no such file or
directory

>> - so whatever it is doesn't seem to be affecting everything)
>>
>> This is the first time I've used CeGCC. I'm using it in Cygwin on a
>> WinXP machine. I downloaded and extracted
>> cegcc_mingw32ce_cygwin1.7_r1375.tar.bz2 from the website; I left the
>> extracted folder in my home directory and am running gcc as
>> ~/mingw32ce/arm-mingw32ce/bin/gcc.
>>
>> Anyone have any ideas?

>> Throughout its 18-year history, RSA Conference consistently attracts
the

http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~ismail/cegcc_mingw32ce_cygwin1.7_r1416.tar.bz2
> that should work.

Argghhhh I was just uploading it a new version on my server ...

Re: [Cegcc-devel] gcc seems to be non-functional

Vincent Richomme
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 23:02:57 +0100, Vincent Richomme
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 13:23:55 -0800 (PST), İsmail "cartman" Dönmez
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Sean Healy wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I found no way to search the archive to see if someone else has
> reported
>>> a similar error, so I'm posting it to the list. gcc doesn't seem to be

>>> working. When I run the program, it exits with no error message - no
>>> message of any kind, in fact - but no output file is produced. So I
get

>>> no output and no error message.
>>>
>>> I've tried it via /mingw32ce/arm-mingw32ce/bin/gcc and via
>>> /mingw32ce/bin/arm-mingw32ce-gcc-4.4.0. I had originally tried it with

>>> -c, so I tried it without. I've tried it with and without -o. I've
> tried
>>> it with and without -v. I've tried it on several different source
> files.
>>> I've tried it with no options at all. (I also tried running ld with no

>>> options at all, and got an error message about no such file or
> directory
>>> - so whatever it is doesn't seem to be affecting everything)
>>>
>>> This is the first time I've used CeGCC. I'm using it in Cygwin on a
>>> WinXP machine. I downloaded and extracted
>>> cegcc_mingw32ce_cygwin1.7_r1375.tar.bz2 from the website; I left the
>>> extracted folder in my home directory and am running gcc as
>>> ~/mingw32ce/arm-mingw32ce/bin/gcc.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any ideas?

>>> Throughout its 18-year history, RSA Conference consistently attracts
> the
>>> world's best and brightest in the field, creating opportunities for
>>> Conference
>>> attendees to learn about information security's most important issues
>>> through
>>> interactions with peers, luminaries and emerging and established
>>> companies.
>>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/rsaconf-dev2dev
>>>

>> First of all you need Cygwin 1.7, after that install my latest build
> from

http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~ismail/cegcc_mingw32ce_cygwin1.7_r1416.tar.bz2
>> that should work.
>
> Argghhhh I was just uploading it a new version on my server ...

Anyway I have uploaded an alternate version :
http://www.smartmobili.com/Downloads/cegcc_mingw32ce_cygwin1.7_r1437.tar.bz2

Download and untar at the cygwin root.

Re: [Cegcc-devel] gcc seems to be non-functional

Sean Healy
Thanks to everyone for your advice.

I had not yet upgraded to Cygwin 1.7 - when I first ran the setup
program, it popped up a warning about the changes in 1.7, so I went to
look at the website...and never went back and actually installed the
upgrade!

So I installed the upgrade, and got a different error about a missing
cc1.exe.  I ran gcc with -print-search-dirs and among the results I saw
this:

programs:
=/home/Sean/mingw32ce/arm-mingw32ce/bin/../libexec/gcc/arm-mingw32ce/4.4.0/

The new problem was that I was running mingw32ce/arm-mingw32ce/bin/gcc,
so the paths were wrong. I changed to mingw32ce/bin/arm-mingw32ce-gcc,
and it worked.

Perhaps the files in mingw32ce/arm-mingw32ce/bin should be links and copies?

Thanks again.