Quantcast

cegcc with gcc 4.5.3

Max Kellermann
Hi,

another cegcc upgrade: I have replaced gcc 4.4.x with gcc 4.5.3.  That
rebase caused a good amount of merge conflicts, which I attempted to
solve without really knowing the code base.  The end result seems to
work well.  The TEXT section of the XCSoar binary shrinks from 1,686
kB to 1,582 kB, with no change but the gcc upgrade.  Looks like gcc's
ARM code generator has improved a lot.

Source code:

 http://git.xcsoar.org/cgit/max/cegcc-build.git/

Binaries:

 http://max.kellermann.name/download/xcsoar/devel/cegcc/

This is a transitional step to finally upgrade to gcc 4.6.  Now if
only Google would update the Android NDK to gcc 4.6 ...

Max

Re: cegcc with gcc 4.5.3

Vincent Richomme
Hi,

not sur lots of people are still reading this ML anymore because
basically everyone has iOS or Android now but if you want to work
on upgrading the ceggc compiler you should contact Kai Tietz from
mingw-w64 because there are some common work that you could share.
 From what I know mingw-w64 has implemented some win32 specific stuff
like seh exceptions that could be easily ported to arm platform(
arm and x64 seh are using almost the same mechanism).
He will be able to answer your questions if you have any ...

CHeers

Re: cegcc with gcc 4.5.3

Vincent Torri-2

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 11:49 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

not sur lots of people are still reading this ML anymore because
basically everyone has iOS or Android now but if you want to work
on upgrading the ceggc compiler you should contact Kai Tietz from
mingw-w64 because there are some common work that you could share.
 From what I know mingw-w64 has implemented some win32 specific stuff
like seh exceptions that could be easily ported to arm platform(
arm and x64 seh are using almost the same mechanism).
He will be able to answer your questions if you have any ...

in addition, it would be nice to merge these 2 projects. Less duplicated work, I think

Vincent Torri

Re: cegcc with gcc 4.5.3

Paul Sokolovsky
Hello,

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 10:48:52 +0200
Max Kellermann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> another cegcc upgrade: I have replaced gcc 4.4.x with gcc 4.5.3.

Cool, great work!

Just as a note, I got sucked by Android, as everyone else, so don't
have much time to look after https://gitorious.org/cegcc/ . Besides, my
whole idea to work on it was to create an open-source software distro
for WinCE. But I found that bunch of important apps simply don't build
with cegcc, even after (some) effort applied to
https://gitorious.org/cegcc/cegcc-w32api - lot of things are still
missing (including highly boring like OLE or-how-it-is-called-now).

Well, I don't want to lose the chance with Android for that, so hack on
http://f-droid.org/

> That
> rebase caused a good amount of merge conflicts, which I attempted to
> solve without really knowing the code base.  The end result seems to
> work well.  The TEXT section of the XCSoar binary shrinks from 1,686
> kB to 1,582 kB, with no change but the gcc upgrade.  Looks like gcc's
> ARM code generator has improved a lot.
>
> Source code:
>
>  http://git.xcsoar.org/cgit/max/cegcc-build.git/
>
> Binaries:
>
>  http://max.kellermann.name/download/xcsoar/devel/cegcc/
>
> This is a transitional step to finally upgrade to gcc 4.6.  Now if
> only Google would update the Android NDK to gcc 4.6 ...
>
> Max

[]

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:[hidden email]

Re: cegcc with gcc 4.5.3

Max Kellermann
On 2011/10/12 19:46, Vincent Torri <[hidden email]> wrote:
> in addition, it would be nice to merge these 2 projects. Less duplicated
> work, I think

If I get bored one day, I'll try to extract the micro-changes that
were applied to mingw32 to turn it into cegcc.  And then submit those
to mingw-w64 or gcc.  But that would require a massive amount of
boredom.  And it would require faith in the future of native code on
Windows CE.  I have neither.

The truth is that I hate working with cegcc (WIN32, that is).  I
joined the XCSoar project and ported it to Android.  Android has a
future, but Windows CE is just legacy for us.  It's a legacy we'll
support for a long time.  I took the time for cegcc only because I
wanted to switch to C++11, and gcc 4.4.0 was too buggy.

Max