WM6.1 rshd

Danny Backx
The good news is that rshd works on my WM 6.1 device.

The bad news is every time after executing an application through it, I
get a dialog on my phone saying that the application "device.exe" has
crashed, offering to send debug info to Microsoft.

Tested with the tester.exe but also fibo, rcp, and a simplistic "ls".

Clues on why device.exe might crash are welcome :-)

        Danny
--
Danny Backx ; danny.backx - at - scarlet.be ; http://danny.backx.info

Re: WM6.1 rshd

Danny Backx
On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 21:16 +0100, Danny Backx wrote:
> The good news is that rshd works on my WM 6.1 device.
>
> The bad news is every time after executing an application through it, I
> get a dialog on my phone saying that the application "device.exe" has
> crashed, offering to send debug info to Microsoft.
>
> Tested with the tester.exe but also fibo, rcp, and a simplistic "ls".
>
> Clues on why device.exe might crash are welcome :-)

gdbserver appears to work too.

        Danny
--
Danny Backx ; danny.backx - at - scarlet.be ; http://danny.backx.info

Re: WM6.1 rshd

Pedro Alves-4
On Wednesday 06 January 2010 20:16:45, Danny Backx wrote:
> The good news is that rshd works on my WM 6.1 device.
>
> The bad news is every time after executing an application through it, I
> get a dialog on my phone saying that the application "device.exe" has
> crashed, offering to send debug info to Microsoft.
>
> Tested with the tester.exe but also fibo, rcp, and a simplistic "ls".
>
> Clues on why device.exe might crash are welcome :-)

Something to do with PipeDev.dll, most probably.

--
Pedro Alves

Re: WM6.1 rshd

Andre Heinecke
At Thursday 07 January 2010 00:54:32 Pedro Alves wrote:

> On Wednesday 06 January 2010 20:16:45, Danny Backx wrote:
> > The good news is that rshd works on my WM 6.1 device.
> >
> > The bad news is every time after executing an application through it, I
> > get a dialog on my phone saying that the application "device.exe" has
> > crashed, offering to send debug info to Microsoft.
> >
> > Tested with the tester.exe but also fibo, rcp, and a simplistic "ls".
> >
> > Clues on why device.exe might crash are welcome :-)
>
> Something to do with PipeDev.dll, most probably.
Hi,
I would guess the problem is not rshd but the way rshd is executing the
commands.
What Console implementation do you use? When i used PocketCMD and
PocketConsole from Symbolic Tools i had the same problem. With MSFTS Command
Shell the crashes disappeared, so i guess the crashes come from
PocketConsole.

Regards
Andre

--
Andre Heinecke |  ++49-541-335083-0  |  http://www.intevation.de/

Re: WM6.1 rshd

Pedro Alves-4
On Thursday 07 January 2010 09:58:36, Andre Heinecke wrote:

> At Thursday 07 January 2010 00:54:32 Pedro Alves wrote:
> > On Wednesday 06 January 2010 20:16:45, Danny Backx wrote:
> > > The good news is that rshd works on my WM 6.1 device.
> > >
> > > The bad news is every time after executing an application through it, I
> > > get a dialog on my phone saying that the application "device.exe" has
> > > crashed, offering to send debug info to Microsoft.
> > >
> > > Tested with the tester.exe but also fibo, rcp, and a simplistic "ls".
> > >
> > > Clues on why device.exe might crash are welcome :-)
> >
> > Something to do with PipeDev.dll, most probably.
> Hi,
> I would guess the problem is not rshd but the way rshd is executing the
> commands.

It uses redirects stdin/out/err to pipes implemented
by PipeLib/PipeDev, using SetStdioPathW, and then creates
the children using bog standard CreateProcess.

 <https://cegcc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/cegcc/trunk/cegcc/tools/PipeLib/README>:

 "PipeLib implements a stream driver that is exposed in an interface
  similar to unnamed pipes on desktop Windows.  Namelly, pipes are
  created with CreatePipe and the pipe ends are manipulated with the normal
  ReadFileW/WriteFileW/CloseHandle coredll.dll functions."

Device.exe is "Device Manager".

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms923714.aspx>:

 "Device.exe loads audio drivers, battery drivers, keyboard drivers, mouse drivers,
  NDIS drivers, notification LED drivers, serial drivers, PC Card drivers,
  USB drivers, and any other driver that exposes the stream interface. Device.exe
  loads most of its drivers with ActivateDeviceEx, and these drivers expose
  a stream interface. For more information, see Device Manager."

One thing to confirm is, of course, if Danny did rebuild
PipeDev.dll with the fixed tools.

> What Console implementation do you use? When i used PocketCMD and
> PocketConsole from Symbolic Tools i had the same problem. With MSFTS Command
> Shell the crashes disappeared, so i guess the crashes come from
> PocketConsole.

rshd is a remote shell, there shouldn't be any console on the
device involved, but it's worth a try.

I assume that when Danny said "after executing an
application through it", he already tried running the same
executables on the device directly, without involving rshd, and
that didn't crash (?).

--
Pedro Alves

Re: WM6.1 rshd

Danny Backx
On Thu, 2010-01-07 at 12:29 +0000, Pedro Alves wrote:
> I assume that when Danny said "after executing an
> application through it", he already tried running the same
> executables on the device directly, without involving rshd, and
> that didn't crash (?).

Not all of them, because they use stdin/stdout. I do have a compile
option for fibo.c to make it write into a file instead of to stdout.
Using that, I see no problem.

Also, none of this has ever given me problems on my WM 6.0 device.

        Danny
--
Danny Backx ; danny.backx - at - scarlet.be ; http://danny.backx.info