SmartGPS SG610 / Malata PG-74301B help needed

SmartGPS SG610 / Malata PG-74301B help needed

Jacek M. Holeczek
Hi,
I'm sorry for being a bit out of the purpose of this group, but I
don't really know any better place to ask for help.

It's all about a "partially" broken PND running Windows CE 5.0 Core.

This is a Chinese product, called "SmartGPS SG610". Internally,
however, it runs "malata.exe" and so, searching the Internet, I have
found "Malata PG-74301B", which looks exactly the same as my device.
I'm sure there are more units, which are exact copies of it, sold
under different brand names.

All I could learn about the hardware / software is:
Type: PORTABLE GPS (Sirf STAR III)
Version: M401I74S2--MAE6S1(Nov  1 2007)
Windows CE 5.0 Core
Processor: Intel ARM920T-PXA27x / PXA270 / 416 MHz
RAM: 64 MB, 100 MHz, 32 Bit, Samsung, Low Power Consumption SDRAM
ROM: 1 GB (NandFlash)
Screen: 4.3", 480x272 (16:9), 16 bit color
Display Type: (pxa27x_lcd.dll) AT043TN01 or/and LTM035A776C
Battery: Lithium Polymerized, 1400 mAh

At certain point in the past, something happened that partially
screwed the installed Windows CE 5.0 Core (and the builtin
"\Flash_Storage").
I am still able to use this device, once I force the unit to use an
external version of the "explorer.exe" (seems the default
"\Windows\control.exe" is broken now) and start the navigation program
manually (everything is now kept on the SD card).

What I am looking for is a "Windows CE 5.0 Core system copy / upgrade
image" for this particular type of device (some PND manufacturers do
provide "Windows CE system image updates", maybe there is something
like this for mine, too - but I did not find it up to now).
In fact, if I switch the unit ON while simultaneously keeping two
available buttons pressed, I get a bootloader menu (in simplified
Chinese) saying "choose download method", and the available options
are "USB transmission", "MMC storage card", "CF storage card" (the
unit has a USB plug and a SD/MMC card slot, no CF card slot).
The displayed hardware/bootloader version is "M401I74S2--MAE6S1(Nov 1 2007)".
So, I think, all I need it the "proper" (i.e. hardware specific) system image.

Well, the problem is that this unit is out of warranty and the cost
for "re-installing Windows" is high enough that it would really be
more wise to buy another PND.
If I decide to get another unit - what can I do with the existing one?
Can I run another systems (i.e. NON-Windows-CE) on this hardware?
What options are available (of course, I think I would prefer to
"restore" the Windows CE on it)?

Thanks in advance,
Best regards,
Jacek.

Re: SmartGPS SG610 / Malata PG-74301B help needed

Vincent Richomme
> Hi,
> I'm sorry for being a bit out of the purpose of this group, but I
> don't really know any better place to ask for help.
>
> It's all about a "partially" broken PND running Windows CE 5.0 Core.
>
> This is a Chinese product, called "SmartGPS SG610". Internally,
> however, it runs "malata.exe" and so, searching the Internet, I have
> found "Malata PG-74301B", which looks exactly the same as my device.
> I'm sure there are more units, which are exact copies of it, sold
> under different brand names.
>
> All I could learn about the hardware / software is:
> Type: PORTABLE GPS (Sirf STAR III)
> Version: M401I74S2--MAE6S1(Nov  1 2007)
> Windows CE 5.0 Core
> Processor: Intel ARM920T-PXA27x / PXA270 / 416 MHz
> RAM: 64 MB, 100 MHz, 32 Bit, Samsung, Low Power Consumption SDRAM
> ROM: 1 GB (NandFlash)
> Screen: 4.3", 480x272 (16:9), 16 bit color
> Display Type: (pxa27x_lcd.dll) AT043TN01 or/and LTM035A776C
> Battery: Lithium Polymerized, 1400 mAh
>
> At certain point in the past, something happened that partially
> screwed the installed Windows CE 5.0 Core (and the builtin
> "\Flash_Storage").
> I am still able to use this device, once I force the unit to use an
> external version of the "explorer.exe" (seems the default
> "\Windows\control.exe" is broken now) and start the navigation program
> manually (everything is now kept on the SD card).
>
> What I am looking for is a "Windows CE 5.0 Core system copy / upgrade
> image" for this particular type of device (some PND manufacturers do
> provide "Windows CE system image updates", maybe there is something
> like this for mine, too - but I did not find it up to now).
> In fact, if I switch the unit ON while simultaneously keeping two
> available buttons pressed, I get a bootloader menu (in simplified
> Chinese) saying "choose download method", and the available options
> are "USB transmission", "MMC storage card", "CF storage card" (the
> unit has a USB plug and a SD/MMC card slot, no CF card slot).
> The displayed hardware/bootloader version is "M401I74S2--MAE6S1(Nov 1
> 2007)".
> So, I think, all I need it the "proper" (i.e. hardware specific) system
> image.
>
> Well, the problem is that this unit is out of warranty and the cost
> for "re-installing Windows" is high enough that it would really be
> more wise to buy another PND.
> If I decide to get another unit - what can I do with the existing one?
> Can I run another systems (i.e. NON-Windows-CE) on this hardware?
> What options are available (of course, I think I would prefer to
> "restore" the Windows CE on it)?

Hi,

try XDA website, YOur question is more appropriate there I think.
They have tools, rom, crazy hackers so you should find some answers.