SHCreateMenuBar() and friends implemented for Win32?

SHCreateMenuBar() and friends implemented for Win32?

Paul Sokolovsky
Hello,

Has anybody stumbled at the implementation of aygshell functions like
SHCreateMenuBar() for pure Win32? Maybe not as a standalone library,
but as part of a project which supports both Win32 and WinCE. I'd
appreciate any hint.

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:[hidden email]

Re: SHCreateMenuBar() and friends implemented for Win32?

Vincent Torri

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Has anybody stumbled at the implementation of aygshell functions like
> SHCreateMenuBar() for pure Win32? Maybe not as a standalone library,
> but as part of a project which supports both Win32 and WinCE. I'd
> appreciate any hint.

The code is not released. But you can try google. I found that:

http://wmdevelopers.blogspot.com/2008/05/create-menu-bar-programmatically-wm5.html

Vincent Torri

Re: SHCreateMenuBar() and friends implemented for Win32?

Vincent Richomme
 On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 13:42:51 +0100 (CET), Vincent Torri wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Jan 2011, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Has anybody stumbled at the implementation of aygshell functions
>> like
>> SHCreateMenuBar() for pure Win32? Maybe not as a standalone library,
>> but as part of a project which supports both Win32 and WinCE. I'd
>> appreciate any hint.
>
> The code is not released. But you can try google. I found that:
>

> http://wmdevelopers.blogspot.com/2008/05/create-menu-bar-programmatically-wm5.html

 Hi,

 SHCreateMenuBar is so specific to wince that I don't think it's very
 relevant to implement it under win32.
 What you should do is define a common function/method to create a menu
 and that would
 call SHCreateMenuBar on wince.

Re: SHCreateMenuBar() and friends implemented for Win32?

Paul Sokolovsky
Hello,

On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 18:10:10 +0100
Vincent Richomme <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 13:42:51 +0100 (CET), Vincent Torri wrote:
> > On Tue, 4 Jan 2011, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Has anybody stumbled at the implementation of aygshell functions
> >> like
> >> SHCreateMenuBar() for pure Win32? Maybe not as a standalone
> >> library, but as part of a project which supports both Win32 and
> >> WinCE. I'd appreciate any hint.
> >
> > The code is not released. But you can try google. I found that:
> >

> > http://wmdevelopers.blogspot.com/2008/05/create-menu-bar-programmatically-wm5.html
>

>  Hi,
>
>  SHCreateMenuBar is so specific to wince that I don't think it's very
>  relevant to implement it under win32.
>  What you should do is define a common function/method to create a
> menu and that would
>  call SHCreateMenuBar on wince.

Well, it's about 3rd-party software, to let test/debug it with more
comfort. Apparently, linking with a mock lib is more productive than
to figure out and patch each case, especially in bulk. As for "specific
to wince" - well, it's just an adhoc toolbar which tend to appear even
on dialogs. I'm surprised that noone implemented it over all this
time...

[]

Vincent Torri <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Jan 2011, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Has anybody stumbled at the implementation of aygshell functions
> > like SHCreateMenuBar() for pure Win32? Maybe not as a standalone
> > library, but as part of a project which supports both Win32 and
> > WinCE. I'd appreciate any hint.
>
> The code is not released. But you can try google. I found that:
>
> http://wmdevelopers.blogspot.com/2008/05/create-menu-bar-programmatically-wm5.html

Well, this talks how init menubar programmatically (vs from resource)
on device, but I'd like to find code which creates something close on
desktop windows. I did googling, but nothing good, even found
aygshell.dll mock for HPC devices, but there it still recurses to
wince-only CommandBar.

So, I started to look how to implement it. The simplest case, when
SHCMBF_HMENU is used with SHCreateMenuBar() easy to handle - just
setting that menu for window/dialog. But normal case is more complex.

For reference, here's what on find while thinking how it can be
implemented:

Toolbars don't natively support adding arbitrary controls, here's
technique how:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb760446(v=vs.85).aspx#Embedding_Non_Button_Controls_in_Toolbars

Though it suggests using a Rebar instead.

Here's an article on creating a menu with toolbar/rebar:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb775450(v=vs.85).aspx

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:[hidden email]

Re: SHCreateMenuBar() and friends implemented for Win32?

André Hentschel
Am 05.01.2011 11:01, schrieb Paul Sokolovsky:

> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 13:42:51 +0100 (CET)
> Vincent Torri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, 4 Jan 2011, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Has anybody stumbled at the implementation of aygshell functions
>>> like SHCreateMenuBar() for pure Win32? Maybe not as a standalone
>>> library, but as part of a project which supports both Win32 and
>>> WinCE. I'd appreciate any hint.
>>
>> The code is not released. But you can try google. I found that:
>>
>> http://wmdevelopers.blogspot.com/2008/05/create-menu-bar-programmatically-wm5.html
>
> Well, this talks how init menubar programmatically (vs from resource)
> on device, but I'd like to find code which creates something close on
> desktop windows. I did googling, but nothing good, even found
> aygshell.dll mock for HPC devices, but there it still recurses to
> wince-only CommandBar.
>
> So, I started to look how to implement it. The simplest case, when
> SHCMBF_HMENU is used with SHCreateMenuBar() easy to handle - just
> setting that menu for window/dialog. But normal case is more complex.
>
> For reference, here's what on find while thinking how it can be
> implemented:
>
> Toolbars don't natively support adding arbitrary controls, here's
> technique how:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb760446(v=vs.85).aspx#Embedding_Non_Button_Controls_in_Toolbars
>
> Though it suggests using a Rebar instead.
>
> Here's an article on creating a menu with toolbar/rebar:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb775450(v=vs.85).aspx

Would love to see some OSS implementation of the CE Menu functions, will be usefull for winece (sry, still no repo online ...)

--

Best Regards, André Hentschel

Re: SHCreateMenuBar() and friends implemented for Win32?

Paul Sokolovsky
Hello,

On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 17:24:08 +0100
André Hentschel <[hidden email]> wrote:

[]

> Would love to see some OSS implementation of the CE Menu functions,
> will be usefull for winece (sry, still no repo online ...)

Well, it actually occurred to me that I should look at Wine/ReactOS for
such stuff, and indeed I found mentioning of some initial work to
support WinCE in ReactOS, but not beyond some coredll proxying, which
even was removed from their repo since then due to lack of further
progress for years.

I now have read your posts about wine-arm in the archive, nice work,
hope you'll break the ice on this matter ;-).

In the meantime, I've put my stuff at
http://github.com/pfalcon/aygshell-win32 (not pledging for full or
complete impl, just purely pragmatic approach of adding stuff which
helps porting specific other stuff).

Am 16.01.2011 14:17, schrieb Paul Sokolovsky:

> Hello,

> []
>>
>> Would love to see some OSS implementation of the CE Menu functions,
>> will be usefull for winece (sry, still no repo online ...)
>
> Well, it actually occurred to me that I should look at Wine/ReactOS for
> such stuff, and indeed I found mentioning of some initial work to
> support WinCE in ReactOS, but not beyond some coredll proxying, which
> even was removed from their repo since then due to lack of further
> progress for years.
>
> I now have read your posts about wine-arm in the archive, nice work,
> hope you'll break the ice on this matter ;-).
>
> In the meantime, I've put my stuff at
> http://github.com/pfalcon/aygshell-win32 (not pledging for full or
> complete impl, just purely pragmatic approach of adding stuff which
> helps porting specific other stuff).
>

>> Best Regards, André Hentschel

Looks good,
when my repo is up i e-mail you, you maybe want to send me a patch then. That would be great!

--

Best Regards, André Hentschel