Including pthreads

Anders Nilsson Plymoth
Hi,

I wonder what the status is on including pthreads into the build configuration. There is an option when compiling the gcc sources to turn this on, but this option is currently turned off for cegcc. I tried enabling it, but there are propagating dependency issues from the cegcc build scripts that results in some standard header files not being found. Since pthreads is widely used among gcc developers to a very high degree, I really think this feature should be enabled by default. I use gcc and pthreads for all my UNIX apps, so pthreads really needs to available in cegcc before it can be of any use for me. Is this really disabled, or am I missing something here?

Thanks,
Anders

Re: Including pthreads

Danny Backx
On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 09:57 +0100, Anders Nilsson Plymoth wrote:

> I wonder what the status is on including pthreads into the build
> configuration. There is an option when compiling the gcc sources to
> turn this on, but this option is currently turned off for cegcc. I
> tried enabling it, but there are propagating dependency issues from
> the cegcc build scripts that results in some standard header files not
> being found. Since pthreads is widely used among gcc developers to a
> very high degree, I really think this feature should be enabled by
> default. I use gcc and pthreads for all my UNIX apps, so pthreads
> really needs to available in cegcc before it can be of any use for
> me.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.

cegcc (allow me to focus on the arm-mingw32ce flavour for now) gives you
a way to compile applications that will then run on a WinCE (Windows
Mobile, ..) platform.

The WinCE platform doesn't have pthreads - much like the other versions
of Windows, see e.g. http://sourceware.org/pthreads-win32 : "Win32 does
not, and is unlikely to ever, support pthreads natively.
[pthreads-win32] seeks to provide a freely available and high-quality
solution to this problem."

I would expect that you start by picking up a version of pthreads that
can run on CE, and then link applications against it.

I'm not sure whether this requires the build process of cegcc to change.
The current build script says --enable-threads=win32 (not what I would
call "turned off"), according to the gcc NEWS file it should be
--enable-threads=posix for pthreads.

Is that what you tried, and did you have pthreads source on your system
when you tried it ? Compiling gthr-posix.h requires pthread.h .

        Danny
--
Danny Backx ; danny.backx - at - scarlet.be ; http://danny.backx.info