Quantcast

Cortex A8 support

InfoMail InfoMail
Hi all,

I'm trying to compile my library for Cortex A8, using the last mingw32ce toolchain.
I use this compiler options: -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mtune=cortex-a8 -msoft-float -mfloat-abi=softfp -mfpu=neon -Wa,-mcpu=cortex-a8 -Wa,-mfpu=neon -mlittle-endian
but i got the following errors:

Assembler messages:

Error: cannot represent BFD_RELOC_ARM_MOVW relocation in this object file format
Error: cannot represent BFD_RELOC_ARM_MOVT relocation in this object file format

Is there a *working* way to compile for CortexA8 ?
Many thanks in advance!

Re: Cortex A8 support

Pavel Pavlov

Re: Cortex A8 support

Pavel Pavlov

I'm trying to compile my library for Cortex A8, using the last mingw32ce toolchain.
I use this compiler options: -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mtune=cortex-a8 -msoft-float -mfloat-abi=softfp -mfpu=neon -Wa,-mcpu=cortex-a8 -Wa,-mfpu=neon -mlittle-endian
but i got the following errors:

Assembler messages:

Error: cannot represent BFD_RELOC_ARM_MOVW relocation in this object file format
Error: cannot represent BFD_RELOC_ARM_MOVT relocation in this object file format

Is there a *working* way to compile for CortexA8 ?
Many thanks in advance!

There is no way to compile for cortex a8 for wince. When I needed to do so, I had to modify binutils/gcc in order to be able to create a build that can handle that kind of thing, otherwise for any win API you’ll be getting MOWV/MOVT error. The way I fixed it for my build was to make gcc think that movw/movt sequence has the same wait as regular load or mov or something like that so It stopped trying to use movw/movt for all api calls. If you are sure that you need to compile for cortexA8, Id recommend to compile for cortex only those parts of code that you really need to optimize, the rest compile as regular arm build. If you don’t really need to optimize and if you don’t have some heavily optimized code for cortex then don’t waste your time, you won’t get any benefit by simply recompiling to cortex. I tried ffmpeg and h264 decoding (and they have a lot of neon optimized code for h264), but the end result was that the difference between all that optimized code and plaing armv4 (not even arm5te!) build was only like 40%. I really expected to have way more performance improvement (especially, because for armv4 there is no optimized code at all!)